Visa application at Consulate or Embassy

Visa application at Consulate or Embassy

Apply for a visa at the German embassy in your home country. Please allow several weeks for your visa to be processed. Important: Do NOT enter Germany on a tourist visa if you want to work at the MPICI.

There are different types of visas depending on the purpose and the period of your stay at our institute. For further information, please see the website of the German Federal Foreign Office.

There you will find details concerning the different visa types, addresses of German embassies in your home country, and the visa application process.

Usually, the German embassy or consulate will issue only a temporary visa (valid for 90 days) which allows you to enter Germany. In order to work and stay here for a longer time you will have to change your visa into a residence permit once you arrive in Germany (this is done at the local foreign registration office).

Please check the legal regulations regarding families, spouse joining, etc. carefully.

Who Does Not Need a Visa?

Group A

Citizens from the member states of the European Union (EU), Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein do not require a visa.

Group B

Nationals from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the USA do not require an entry visa (but they must apply for a residence permit shortly after arrival if they intend to stay in Germany longer than 90 days).

loading content
Zur Redakteursansicht