Course Chemistry and Biochemistry of Carbohydrates (LV 21256)
(Thursdays 10:00 - 12:00, SR24.16)
In this course the students learn about the chemical synthesis and biological functions of carbohydrates and carbohydrate-containing molecules. After finishing the course, the students will be able to design the chemical synthesis of complex and rare carbohydrates and to identify the appropriate methods to characterize the products. Furthermore, the students will know about the biosynthesis of carbohydrates and how to use common enzymes for their preparation and modification. Different types of glycoconjugates will be familiar to the students as well as the relevance of carbohydrate-protein interactions and different methods for their analysis.
- Occurrence of carbohydrates in nature
- Glycopolymers and glycoconjugates
- Carbohydrates in animals
- Carbohydrates in bacteria and fungi
- Carbohydrates in plants
2: Carbohydrate synthesis and analysis
- Synthesis of complex oligosaccharides
- Synthesis of rare carbohydrates
- Carbohydrates as key building blocks in the total synthesis of natural products
- Analysis and characterization of carbohydrates by NMR, MS and other analytical methods
3: Enzymatic reactions with carbohydrates
- Biosynthesis of carbohydrates
- Chemo-enzymatic synthesis of oligosaccharides (application of glycosidases and glycosyltransferases)
4: General methods in Glycobiology
- Evaluation of carbohydrate-protein interactions using carbohydrate microarrays, ELISA, SPR, and STD-NMR
5: Carbohydrates in Immunology
- Lectins and anti-carbohydrate antibodies
- Carbohydrate-based vaccines
Requirements: There are a no requirements for attending this course. However, previous participation in the course Organic Chemistry III (Bioorganic Chemistry I) is recommended.
Starting of the course in WS 2017/2018
The course will take place on Thursdays from 10:00 to 12:00 in the seminar room SR24.16 (Takustr. 3). The course will start on Thursday, 18th of October 2017.
Please contact Dr. Fabian Pfrengle or Dr. Daniel Varon Silva for further information.