Soft composites & tough hydrogels
Integration of experimental and numerical methods
2014 – 2018: PhD in Engineering and Technology Sciences
University of Liège, Belgium - Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Liège, Belgium
Thesis (award date: 14.12.2018): Bioinspired and architectured materials with enhanced mechanical performance by three-dimensional printing.
Supervisor: Prof. Davide Ruffoni
2012 - 2014: Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Politecnico di Milano, Italy. Thesis (full mark: 110 cum laude /110, award date: 03.10.2014): Development of an implantable device for pain treatment in abdominal surgery.
Supervisor: Prof. Paola Petrini
2012 - 2014: Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Thesis (full mark: 108/110, award date: 26.09.2012): Chemical, physical and biological characterization of antibacterial treatments for biomedical implantable devices.
Supervisor: Prof. Roberto Chiesa
Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals
- De Noni L., Zorzetto L., Briatico-Vangosa F., Rink M., Ruffoni D., Andena L. (2022) Modelling the interphase of 3D printed photo-cured polymers, Composites Part B: Engineering, 234, 109737, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2022.109737
- Zorzetto L., Andena L., Briatico-Vangosa F., De Noni L., Thomassin J.M., Jérôme C., Grossman Q., Mertens A., Weinkamer R., Rink M., Ruffoni D. (2020) Properties and role of interfaces in multimaterial 3D printed composites, Scientific reports, 10, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-79230-0
- Oriano M., Zorzetto L., Guagliano G., Bertoglio F., Van Uden S., Visai L., Petrini P. (2020), The open challenge of in vitro modelling complex and multi- microbial communities in three-dimensional niches. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, section Biomaterials, 8, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.3389/fbioe.2020.539319
- Zorzetto L. & Ruffoni D. (2019). Wood-inspired 3D Printed Helical Composites with Tunable and Enhanced Mechanical Performance. Advanced Functional Materials, 29, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201805888
- Sardelli L., Pacheco D. P., Zorzetto L. (2019), Rinoldi C., Swieszkowski W., Petrini P. (2018). Engineering biological gradients. Journal of Applied Biomaterials & Functional Materials, 17, 1-15. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2280800019829023
- Zorzetto L. & Ruffoni D. (2017). Re-entrant Inclusions in Cellular Solids: From Defects to Reinforcements. Composite Structures, 176, 195–204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.05.039
- Zorzetto L., Brambilla P., Marcello E., Bloise N., Cobianchi L., Peloso A., Allegri M., Visai L., Petrini P. (2016). From micro- to nanostructured implantable device for local anesthetic delivery. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 11, 1–15. https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S99028
- Pacheco D. P., Zorzetto L., & Petrini P. (2017). 4 - Soft tissue application of biocomposites A2 - Ambrosio, Luigi BT - Biomedical Composites (Second Edition). In Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials (pp. 59–82). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-100752-5.00004-4
Oral and poster presentation at international conferences
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (8-12 July 2018). Biomechanics of helicoidal microstructural motifs investigated by biologically inspired 3D printing. Poster presentation at 8th Would Congress of Biomechanics – WCB 2018, Dublin (Ireland).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (19-22 March 2018). Investigating the multilayer fiber-reinforced structure of the wood cell using computer simulations and additive manufacturing. Poster presentation at 4th International School and conference on Biological Material Science. – Euro Bio-Inspired Materials 2018 – Potsdam (Germany).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (17-22 September 2017). Mimicking helicoidal biological materials to improve strength of synthetic composites. Oral presentation at 15th European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes – EUROMAT 2017, Thessaloniki (Greece).
- Zorzetto L., Pacheco D. P., Andena L., Petrini P. (17-22 September 2017). A frugal synthesis method to develop tough and stretchable hydrogels. Oral presentation at 15th European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes – EUROMAT 2017, Thessaloniki (Greece).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (7-9 September 2016). Auxetic inclusions in cellular solids allow tailoring Poisson’s ratio and enhancing stiffness. Oral presentation at 15th European Mechanics of Materials Conference – EMMC15, Brussels (Belgium).
- Zorzetto L., Thomassin J.M., Jérôme C., Ruffoni D. (31 January 2016 – 5 February 2016). Bioinspired helicoidal composites with tunable mechanical behavior by 3-dimensional multi-material printing. Poster presentation at Multifunctional Materials & Structures 2016 Gordon Research Conference, Ventura, CA (USA).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (20-24 September 2015). Remarkable stiffness enhancement in multilayered honeycombs obtained through periodic variations in Poisson's ratio. Oral presentation at 14th European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes – EUROMAT 2015, Warsaw (Poland).