Principles of Matrix Architecture in Biofilms
Soft composites & tough hydrogels
Integration of experimental and numerical methods
2014 – 2018: PhD in Engineering and Technology Sciences
University of Liège, Belgium - Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Liège, Belgium
Thesis (award date: 14.12.2018): Bioinspired and architectured materials with enhanced mechanical performance by three-dimensional printing.
Supervisor: Prof. Davide Ruffoni
2012 - 2014: Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Politecnico di Milano, Italy. Thesis (full mark: 110 cum laude /110, award date: 03.10.2014): Development of an implantable device for pain treatment in abdominal surgery.
Supervisor: Prof. Paola Petrini
2012 - 2014: Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Thesis (full mark: 108/110, award date: 26.09.2012): Chemical, physical and biological characterization of antibacterial treatments for biomedical implantable devices.
Supervisor: Prof. Roberto Chiesa
Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Oriano M., Zorzetto L., Guagliano G., Bertoglio F., Van Uden S., Visai L., Petrini P. (2020), The open challenge of in vitro modelling complex and multi- microbial communities in three-dimensional niches. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, section Biomaterials, 8, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.3389/fbioe.2020.539319
- Zorzetto L. & Ruffoni D. (2019). Wood-inspired 3D Printed Helical Composites with Tunable and Enhanced Mechanical Performance. Advanced Functional Materials, 29, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201805888
- Sardelli L., Pacheco D. P., Zorzetto L. (2019), Rinoldi C., Swieszkowski W., Petrini P. (2018). Engineering biological gradients. Journal of Applied Biomaterials & Functional Materials, 17, 1-15. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2280800019829023
- Zorzetto L. & Ruffoni D. (2017). Re-entrant Inclusions in Cellular Solids: From Defects to Reinforcements. Composite Structures, 176, 195–204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.05.039
- Zorzetto L., Brambilla P., Marcello E., Bloise N., Cobianchi L., Peloso A., Allegri M., Visai L., Petrini P. (2016). From micro- to nanostructured implantable device for local anesthetic delivery. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 11, 1–15. https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S99028
- Pacheco D. P., Zorzetto L., & Petrini P. (2017). 4 - Soft tissue application of biocomposites A2 - Ambrosio, Luigi BT - Biomedical Composites (Second Edition). In Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials (pp. 59–82). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-100752-5.00004-4
Oral and poster presentation at international conferences
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (8-12 July 2018). Biomechanics of helicoidal microstructural motifs investigated by biologically inspired 3D printing. Poster presentation at 8th Would Congress of Biomechanics – WCB 2018, Dublin (Ireland).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (19-22 March 2018). Investigating the multilayer fiber-reinforced structure of the wood cell using computer simulations and additive manufacturing. Poster presentation at 4th International School and conference on Biological Material Science. – Euro Bio-Inspired Materials 2018 – Potsdam (Germany).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (17-22 September 2017). Mimicking helicoidal biological materials to improve strength of synthetic composites. Oral presentation at 15th European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes – EUROMAT 2017, Thessaloniki (Greece).
- Zorzetto L., Pacheco D. P., Andena L., Petrini P. (17-22 September 2017). A frugal synthesis method to develop tough and stretchable hydrogels. Oral presentation at 15th European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes – EUROMAT 2017, Thessaloniki (Greece).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (7-9 September 2016). Auxetic inclusions in cellular solids allow tailoring Poisson’s ratio and enhancing stiffness. Oral presentation at 15th European Mechanics of Materials Conference – EMMC15, Brussels (Belgium).
- Zorzetto L., Thomassin J.M., Jérôme C., Ruffoni D. (31 January 2016 – 5 February 2016). Bioinspired helicoidal composites with tunable mechanical behavior by 3-dimensional multi-material printing. Poster presentation at Multifunctional Materials & Structures 2016 Gordon Research Conference, Ventura, CA (USA).
- Zorzetto L., Ruffoni D. (20-24 September 2015). Remarkable stiffness enhancement in multilayered honeycombs obtained through periodic variations in Poisson's ratio. Oral presentation at 14th European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes – EUROMAT 2015, Warsaw (Poland).